In this section you will find the tools and resources you need to help manage your practice’s prior authorization and notification requirements, with program specific information available for Cardiology, Oncology, Radiology, Clinical Pharmacy and Specialty Drugs.
Your primary UnitedHealthcare prior authorization resource, the Prior Authorization and Notification tool, is available on Link, UnitedHealthcare’s self-service tools. Learn more.
What Would You Like to Do?
To see more information on any of these areas, click on the plus sign (+) next to their title.
Medical Records Requirement for Pre-Service: Prepare suggested materials in advance to decrease the need for repeated requests, improve turnaround time for medical records reviews and help improve the claims process.
Check current prescription coverage and price, including out-of-pocket prescription costs for UnitedHealthcare members at their selected pharmacy with the PreCheck MyScript Tool on Link.
- Get information on lower-cost prescription alternatives, if available, to help save members money.
- See which prescriptions currently require prior authorization, or are non-covered or non-preferred.
- Request prior authorization and receive status and results.
If you do not yet have access to the PreCheck MyScript tool, you may request it from the Link Marketplace.
Note: This application is available to physicians and facilities, not to pharmacies.
Starting Nov. 1, 2017, notification is required for certain genetic and molecular lab tests for certain UnitedHealthcare Commercial benefit plans.
Ordering care providers will complete the notification/prior authorization process online or over the phone.
Labs must register their tests to participate as part of the Genetic and Molecular Lab Testing Notification/Prior Authorization process.
We’re continuously looking for ways to provide greater administrative simplicity for care providers and reduce the costs of doing business with us.
As part of this effort, we’re retiring certain fax numbers for medical prior authorization requests and asking you to use the Prior Authorization and Notification tool on Link — the same website you already use to check eligibility and benefits, manage claims and update your demographic information.
Submit or Check the Status of Medical Prior Authorization Requests
Use this online tool to manage prior authorization requests.
Looking for Pharmacy information? More forms can be found in the Clinical Pharmacy and Specialty Drugs Prior Authorization Programs section.
- Peer to Peer Request Following Prior Authorization Service Denial Form
- Fertility Solutions Prior Authorization Request Form for Medications - Commercial
- Indiana Standard Prior Authorization Request Form for Health Care Services
- KanCare Medicaid Behavioral Health Inpatient Prior Authorization Request Form
- KanCare Medicaid Behavioral Health PRTF Prior Authorization Request Form
- Massachusetts Commercial Prior Authorization Form - Cardiac Imaging Prior Authorization Form
- Massachusetts Commercial Prior Authorization Form - CT/CTA/MRI/MRA Prior Authorization Form
- Massachusetts Commercial Prior Authorization Form - Hepatitis C Medication Requests
- Massachusetts Commercial Prior Authorization Form - Non-OB Ultrasound Requests
- Massachusetts Commercial Prior Authorization Form - PET CT Imaging Authorization Form
- Massachusetts Commercial Prior Authorization Form - SYNAGIS® Requests
- Texas Standard Prior Authorization Request Form for Health Care Services
- Active Admission Notification/Prior Authorization/Advance Notification Fax Numbers
- Expanded Commercial Notification/Prior Authorization Requirements and Site of Service Medical Necessity Reviews for Certain Surgical Procedures – Effective Nov. 1, 2019
- Medical Records Requirement for Pre-Service
- Medicare Part D Prior Authorization Guidelines
- Participating Laboratories Frequently Asked Questions
- Site of Service for Certain Musculoskeletal Surgical Procedures (Arthroscopic and Foot Surgery)
- Skilled Nursing Facilities - Inpatient Admission Notification and Case Management Process
- Skilled Nursing Facilities - Prior Authorization and Admission Notification Quick Reference Guide
Prior Authorization Process Change for Certain Specialty Drugs Effective Oct. 1, 2019
Effective Oct. 1, 2019, Optum®, an affiliate company of UnitedHealthcare, will start managing prior authorization requests for certain medical benefit injectable medications for UnitedHealthcare commercial plan members. This includes the following affiliate plans: UnitedHealthcare of Mid-Atlantic, Inc., Neighborhood Health Partnership and UnitedHealthcare of the River Valley. Optum offers solutions to help improve the care provider experience for transactions such as prior authorization requests.